The new date represents a delay of three months — CD Projekt Red had said in June that it planned to launch The Witcher 3 on Feb. 24, 2015. That announcement followed the news in March that the studio had pushed back the game into February 2015 from its original launch window of late 2014.
“We owe you an apology. We set the release date too hastily,” said the board of CD Projekt today, in an open letter posted on the website for The Witcher.
“It’s a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to makeWild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust.”
CD Projekt cited a desire to “limit any bugs” as one of the main reasons for delaying The Witcher 3, along with “the sheer size and complexity” of the game.
“Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio’s history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly,” said CD Projekt. “With this in mind, we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks.”
In the meantime, you can watch the new trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that premiered at The Game Awards last week. The game is in development on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.